Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, June 15, 2008

It's Father's day

OH yay. Yet another day that makes me uncomfortable. My dad is a loser druggie and I don't plan on acknowledging him today. Which will probably make my mom really pissy but I truly don't care. We're supposed to go to a BBQ with my mom at her new boyfriend's house and I know she's going to try to make me call him. I refuse. He's an ass and does not deserve the title of "dad." There are so many things that I wish I could tell him but it wouldn't matter. He's so self-centered and self-absorbed and on so many drugs that there's no way of having a" grown-up" conversation with him. Whatever. Just as a reminder, he still won't discuss my wedding with me. Remember his outfit? You don't? Allow me to remind you.




He fits right in. The flip-flops make the outfit, dontcha think? And in his whacked out brain, somehow this was ok. My poor mom. She looks mortified. Then, let us not forget that he disappeared sometime in the night without saying goodbye to anyone and I was left missing a somewhat important person for the Father/Daughter dance. Nice. Good thing my mom is awesome and we ended up doing a Mother/Daughter dance which was better anyways.


My sister, who is much more straightforward than I, asked my dad once what made him act the way he did. His answer: "All I remember about that day was having a killer headache." Her answer: "Nice Dad. Way to go at your daughter's only wedding." Some days, I have to applaud my sister.

Last time I saw my dad (probably about 9 months ago), his first words were "Geez Kate, you've put on weight." Thanks. That's what I want to hear. Especially since I don't worry about that every day and I love to have it pointed out by my dad. (The time previous to this, we had told my dad we were pregnant (actually, my mom had told him) I smiled uncomfortably. His response "...." and a chuckle. That's it.) So, ya know, he could have said "I'm sorry for your loss" or "are you doing ok?" or anything. But instead he chose "Geez Kate, you've put on weight." Yeah, thanks for showing the love. Asshole.

So, Happy Father's Day to all those great dads out there. I know a lot of you. And to all of you who have great dads, be sure to take time to appreciate them today. Hopefully next year, Mike and I will have our own baby to celebrate with. Mike will be such a good dad and it hurts that he hasn't been given the chance to show that yet. So, here's to next year.

1 comment:

shawna said...

I can't believe that your dad did that. It is probably a blessing that he ended up leaving early.
Happy Early Father's Day to Mike! I hope that next year this is a more joyous day for you.