Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Fooooood!

Today, I'm going to share with you something that has been a great addition to my life lately. About 6 months ago, we started using a co-op for our fruits and veggies. I really wanted to start eating healthier AND try new things (anyone else feeling this way?). I was spending so much every week on produce that I was getting frustrated (anyone else feeling THIS way?).

Then, a friend told me about Bountiful Baskets. They are AWESOME! Unlike other co-ops I've heard about, with Bountiful Baskets you pay each week.  It's only $15 and I get a large basket of various fruits and another of veggies. They offer an organic basket for $25 every other week, but we've never tried it.

Anyway, here's what it looks like every Saturday when we go to get our yummy produce.

You check in and they send you off to your baskets. It's so exciting. It's almost like Christmas wondering what you're going to get that week. 

 Bridget likes to run ahead and look in other people's baskets.  We keep telling her it's all the same, but she LOVES looking at everything.  She also LOVES to help us move everything from our baskets to our box to take home.

Here's a pic of the baskets we got a few months ago. This is pretty typical of the variety we get.

Veggie basket. Lettuce, acorn squash, celery, corn on the cob, brussels sprouts, and I'm pretty sure there were sweet potatoes, and a butternut squash under there, too. I owe this basket for my new found love of brussels sprouts. Wash 'em, cut 'em in half, and roast them in the oven with olive oil and S&P.  Yum!

And our fruit basket.  Grapes, apples, pears, bananas, and persimmons.  There were oranges under there as well.  Many times there's a pineapple in there, too. This is the week I learned that persimmons are not to the liking of anyone in my family. Whenever we get them now, Mike trades them with a lady at his work for more bananas or apples.

Anyway, I thought I'd share in case some of you have been looking for something similar.  Bountiful Baskets are available over here in quite a few states out west.

Do any of you have ways that you get healthy, new foods into your family?  Any other great tips of tricks?

Oh, and FYI, this was not paid for in any way.  I just really like this things and figured some of you might want to know about it as well.  Yaaaay!

1 comment:

v said...

Ah, brussels sprouts! I like tons of vegetables made that way. Sometimes, with brussels sprouts, we'll make them with apples and turkey bacon (I might have told you that already).

I think Cardo is finally coming around to the CSA idea. We barely go to our co-op (or, the Coop), as it's tiny and freaks me out a little. It's moving though and looks like it's going to be awesome!

This looks fantastic and I'd be going with you if I lived down there.